***DISCLAIMER***** This post will probably reveal my(Nich0le's) naevity about life, and will probably be a little cheesy.
I really did get a letter from myself! One of my last assignments in High School was to write a letter to myself in 5 years, and then my english teacher would send it to us. I got that letter today, and when I saw the envelope with the return address of my high school I was confused and curious. Then I saw some very familiar handwriting.... my own.... and I remembered and was surprised that it had come too early. Then I realized, it actually has been 5 years since I was in High School! Kind of a wierd experience! :)
It was quite the experience! I really wanted to share just a few quotes. To be honest when I opened the envelope I was prepared to cringe because the only things I remember writing were about my current crushes at the time. Thankfully it was only a sentence or two.
Here is a basic summary and a few quotes of what I wrote myself when I was 17 years old (3 days before my High School graduation), and then my current commentary.
My plans then for the next 5 years:
Graduate from BYU (check)
Go on a Mission (traded that for marriage to a great guy)
Spend a year in the Peace Corp (what an ambitious thought, I remember telling everyone that too)
My worries then: (The fact that I wrote them down shows that my personality is still the same. Once a worrier, always a worrier!)
Money
School
Life
What others thought about me (I still worry about everything except for other people think... I've learned that is a waste)
I talked about a few friends, but mostly family. I told myself to call a few friends and my parents. I said that I hoped I was still running :). And then I said these things:
"...I really wonder what I will be like in 5 years. Right now all I know about life is that I know the church is true, and I know that God lives..." (still pretty much the case)
"If you're not reading your scriptures everyday, start today. If you are married, I hope you are still in love."
"If you are really stressed out right now... remember how awesome life is. Look at the clouds. I really hope you still look at the clouds." (That made me smile because I still do notice the sky quite a bit)
and then to close I said:
"Wow, 23! That seems so old!" This made me bust up laughing for 3 reasons: 1) 17 +5 = 22, not 23. I still can't do basic addition and subtraction in my head! Just ask Jeff, he'll tell you a funny story from our first date. 2) 23 isn't old, I don't care who you ask! :) 3) What a profound ending to a serious letter. :)
Anyways. The point of this whole thing is: I could never have predicted that I'd be in San Antonio, married for nearly 3 years to someone that I'd never met at the age of 17. But, I'm still the same person, and I still have the same worries and have my head in the clouds, and I still know without a doubt that the church is true and that God lives. And I am so glad the things I knew then and know now, and I am glad for the things I don't understand and can't predict. I am excited for the next 5 years!
7 comments:
oh wow, I love it! I wish that I had something like that. What a smart idea from your teacher. I bet that was a project tracking everyone down to send them though!
How cool! I remember doing something similar at EFY one year, but we got the letters oh a year or so later. 5 years. That's pretty cool.Sounds to me like done well being/doing what you wanted after high school! Well done! Oh and I'm approaching my 10 year anniversary of graduating from high school! And 5 years from BYU....that's just weird! :)
That's so awesome you got your high school letter. (I never got mine, boo hoo, but I remember writing it.) Isn't life funny, how much it can change in 5 years. I think you're super awesome, not that it matters anyways!
I just love you Nichole. I think you are so great. The whole age "23" thing made me laugh out loud--so funny. I bet it was so fun to get this letter.
How neat to get that letter! It's amazing to think of all that's happened to you since you wrote that.
Looks like you had a great spring break! It looks like that was the only cabin for miles around!
You are amazing Nichole! That's pretty much all I have to say! Oh, and that I think your line about reading your scriptures and being in love will be famous someday. It already should be. Thanks for sharing!
I loved your post Nicole. I also can't wait to see what the next 5 and 10 and 15 and 20 years bring! I'm glad you married Jeff.
Post a Comment