So, with the growing baby in my tummy, I've been thinking alot about how to transition my current baby into a little girl, to ease the burden come July. Like, toddler bed, and potty training. I don't want to force her to grow up, but I want the timing to be right, and to follow her lead. And so I've been reading about potty training, and about a month ago I decided that Abi definitely wasn't ready. So I was content to wait and take our time. Maybe in May I thought. Then about a month ago I started noticing that Abi was waking up dry! All night long, and waking up dry! Then a friend let me borrow their little toilet seat that fits on a big toilet. And so one morning I put her on the potty, and let her eat pretzels. She had no idea what was happening, but she went! And she went after her nap, and every morning for about 2 weeks. In that time, she started to make herself go, and started to tell me when she pooped in her diaper. Then on Sunday she told me before she pooped, and she pooped on the potty! So excited with all of these positive signs, I decided to just go with it.
So Monday I went to Walmart and bought underwear, and after lunch I put her new panties on her! Ahhh! It felt so crazy. I don't think potty training is ever easy... maybe it is for those non-worry types. But I was worried. Worried it was too soon, worried that she wouldn't catch on, worried that she would get frustrated, worried that I would get frustrated, worried that I wouldn't know what to do in every situation...etc.
But we plugged away. Monday, 3 successes, 3 accidents.
Tuesday, the real test. 8 sucesses, 9 accidents! This was a crazy day.
Wednesday, something clicked! 5 successes, 2 accidents!
Thursday...(so far) 3 successes, 1 accident.
She is learning! I am learning too, but I hope with time that she will take the initiative, and be proud of herself.
I am so proud of her. I am still worried about social situations, but we will take it one day at a time and trust our smart little girl that she will learn.
****Update:
It is almost 2 weeks later and this little girl is pretty much potty trained!! She is awesome. We have traded diapers for a carrying around a gross little potty seat (on that sits on top of a normal toilet, the toilet seats are just too big for her little body), but that's ok. She still has the occasional accident, but it's mostly at night, and it's mostly #2. Ok, too much bathroom info. Good job Abi!
1 comment:
Oh potty training! I was excited to start, but with no reason to push it I chickened out and told myself I still have time! So way to go to try it- and even more exciting that she's catching on!! I'm sure it's a hard thing to get to click and frustrating when there's accidents, but sounds like you both are handling it great!! I saw your comment on FB- I have NO idea where the time has gone with our girls! I can't believe they'll be 2 this summer. Wow. I miss her baby days, and then I don't- all at the same time! Hope you are doing well with your pregnancy :)
Post a Comment