Sunday, March 10, 2013

A visit from Grandma and Grandpa Blair



We were so pleased to have my mom and dad come visit last week. Abi loved having the extra attention and was so sad to see them go.

Seeing as I took a nap after our 4:00 PM church today and I can't sleep, I thought I would take the initiative and update the blog while Nichole is peacefully sleeping. Let me start with a recap of our house stuff.

Day 1: The work really began Thursday evening, February 21st when our wonderful home teacher came over and helped us move furniture, take down light fixtures and remove our toilet. We painted the ceiling that night.
Day 2: That Saturday we spent the entire day painting. It was nice to not have to worry about the floors since we were going to be tearing everything out soon anyway.
Day 3: Wednesday, February 27th. This is when the real work began. As always my dad worked like a mad man. He tore out our sliding glass door like a savage beast, spreading glass all over our backyard. Then he got to work laying down our floor piece by piece. We had gotten tickets for a Spurs game that night and the time was drawing close, yet we still had a huge hole in our wall. We were able to get the flooring down enough so that we could set the door in place just in time. It was all very exciting. The Spurs game was also very exciting, with a last second shot at the buzzer to send the game into overtime. Unfortunately, the Spurs couldn't pull it out. Oh well, at least we got some free popcorn from our Book of Free coupons.
Day 4: Thursday, while my dad kept at the floor, I spent hours upon hours at Home Depot gathering extra material. Eventually we got the floors all in and the baseboards up. There was a big challenge with the dishwasher. The rest is kind of a blur. I'm giving up on the day 1, day 2 thing. I'll just let the pictures tell the rest of the story.



Saturday morning we went to the Stake Field day where they had kickball, tug-of-war, 100 yard dashes, and some food. I won the hundred yard dash for the older than 18 category! Of course, there wasn't exactly a whole lot of steep competition. We got a great video of Abi participating in the tug-o-war, but our computer has a hard time loading videos. 

This nice lesbian couple took our picture in front of this nasty looking waterfall at the Japanese Tea gardens. My dad solved the puzzle of why there is a sign out front that says The Chinese Tea gardens by actually reading one of the signs. I guess they changed the name during World War II, then after the war they changed it back. Nice place. 

Abi loved riding the train around Brakenridge park. The conductor guy was very excited about his job. 




Abs was asleep when my mom and dad came the night before so after she woke up I set her down at the top of our stairs and went into the bathroom to get something. As my dad came walking up the stairs I think it kind of freaked her out a little bit because out of nowhere there was this other guy in our house. But, she soon realized who it was and warmed up quick. 







We had previously talked about trying to sell our sliding glass door on Craigslist but it soon became apparent that we were going to have to destroy it to get it out. It was pretty exciting when my dad smashed it. I kind of wish we would have filmed me karate kicking in the glass Chuck Norris style. 

Our yard transformed into a junk yard pretty quick. 








Abi was a good little helper!







One morning she found my mom's boot and put it on. She then proceeded to dump out these screws and put them back in the box for the next 30 minutes. 
Yes, Abi looks worn out in this picture, but I can't imagine how my dad must have felt. He worked hard the whole week! But, I guess he is pretty used to it. This is just what he does. 
As I started doing this post I realized we didn't have any pictures of the completed project so I took a couple. We still need to put some finishing touches on things and this isn't the best lighting but it really does look like a brand new house. We are so happy with how everything turned out! 

This is where I am sitting right now as I am doing this post. As you can see I was eating some cereal. I like to put sugar in my cheerios....ok, post is done. Booyah. Hey, we watched "Here Comes the Boom" last night and it was hilarious. Highly recommend it. Peace out. 

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

You guys are rock stars! I am seriously so impressed. Wish we were there to help out and learn your mad skills! As we were falling asleep last night, I said "I still miss Texas." Jay didn't answer, but I'm pretty sure he agrees :). Miss you guys--come see us any time!

Kari said...

Looks good, glad you guys had a fun trip, and we loved Here Comes the Boom too. It felt good to laugh.

The Francis Family said...

Your house looks amazing!! I wish I could have been there to see you karate kick that door down! You guys are awesome and we are so excited to see you TOMORROW!!!

Mrs. Dennis said...

Your floor looks beautiful! I am so jealous. I'll bet you're glad to be done with that project, huh?

Abi on the ladder is such a cute picture - she really wants to help daddy there.

Mrs. Dennis said...

I spy a cute dishtowel. Glad you like it! Love you guys!