Sunday, April 7, 2013

Best Easter Break Ever!

Last weekend we had party time-extended version with our good friends, the Franci. To add to the fun, we met at my Uncle Doug's house in Arkansas. It was great to spend time with him and his wife, Rhonda, as well as my cousin, Trea and his family. We left Thursday night, thinking that driving through the night would be easier with Abi. Of course, we overestimated our energy and stamina for such a long drive and were sooo grateful to be able to stop in Dallas with our friends, The Goggins. What's a Goggin? Nichole actually got sick later that night and so it was very fortuitous to be in the Goggin's apartment and not in our car. The next day we set out for the rest of the drive to Arkansas. I'll let the pictures tell the story from here.



Our first rest stop. Nichole wanted me to emphasize that she was still feeling sick in this picture.

Of note here is the fact that I am wearing a new t-shirt. I finally broke down and consented to Nichole buying me one. Probably the first purchased t-shirt I've gotten in like 10 years. 

God bless Texas!

Later we stopped in Texarkana where Abi had a blast playing on the Dairy Queen play place. We figured we better go to Dairy Queen one last time before leaving Texas as they are found nowhere else in the United States.
"Dairy Queen: That's what I love about Texas!"

We then purchased a plane to fly the rest of the way to my Uncle's property. We let Abi try her first landing, which didn't turn out so well. Thankfully everyone survived.

Here Abi is flying the plane. Everything was looking good, but I guess she just couldn't reach the brakes.
We'll have to keep practicing.
Abi loved Doug and Rhonda (or Pops and Ra-ra as she called them)

So, Nichole and I tried to think how we could make Easter less about candy and more about Jesus, but we had a really hard time deciding on anything. We finally settled on the idea of presenting Abi with an Easter basket full of fun stuff we would probably get her anyway. Not really more about Jesus, but at least less about candy. I'm not sure how I was thinking we would present it to her, but when Abi and I opened the bathroom door Saturday morning, there it was. I think Abi was still waking up in this picture.

Speaking of Easter not being about candy...Doug and Rhonda kept this big bowl of eggs full of candy in the middle of the table the whole time we were there. It was an excellent test in self control for all of us. 

Doug and Rhonda's place was like a wonderland: Slides, tire swings, teeter-totters, regular swings, merry-go-rounds, a pool, and lots of space to run around. My uncle made everything. It stems from the way my dad and his brother grew up.  My grandparents built a go-kart along with a figure eight go-kart track, a zip line, and full size tennis courts. I don't think they were necessarily super rich, just knew how to build things and worked hard. 

"I'm gonna barf!"

These two were hilarious. They were constantly fighting over space and possession: pushing, tackling, and shouting "mine!" over and over. 

Here is Doug's white and purple Camero and Trae's truck. He has won quite a few car shows with these. 

It's pretty hard to get all three of these kids to look at the camera at the same time.

Dying Easter eggs was going fine until Abi knocked an egg out of my hand. In an effort to save the egg I knocked the table over, spilling dye everywhere and smashing a few eggs. It was pretty embarrassing. 


Nichole and the boys helped Doug gather up firewood for a little bonfire. 

We had fun roasting mini marshmallows
My two cute girls
Abi loved this horse even after falling off it our first day and having a meltdown. I love how even when she gets hurt trying something, she doesn't give up and maintains her adventurous personality. 


We learned that when my grandparents moved to Mena around 50 years ago, they were the only members. They started holding meetings in their home. Now, there is a beautiful building along with a wonderful branch. The Easter service was fantastic. I learned some new things about Christ's atoning sacrifice and we all really felt the spirit. 

After church and a great lunch, the hunt was on! 

Good find Abs!

This is like the best Easter picture ever. Pure joy!






Later that day we did some impromptu limbo. Maybe we'll make it a new Easter tradition. 


How low can you go? How low can you go?

Austin

Tyson

Abi

Monday we took a drive up the mountain to Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Here we are with our stand-in son, Tyson.  

Here we are trudging along a grueling 1 mile hike. This occasioned Abi's second time relieving herself outside this trip.

Here they are. All three actually kind of looking at the camera. Amazing.

I'm going to take this opportunity to tell you about my other new shirt. If you can't tell, it's a picture of the Russian from Rocky IV with the phrase, "I must break you!" I got a gift card for Christmas to the Gap, so we went and there was nothing there but overpriced metro-sexual clothing. Then I discovered this gem hidden in the middle of the clearance rack and I knew it must be mine. Assuming anyone reads these captions, Nichole was concerned that someone might be offended by the term metro-sexual. I mean no offense, I am simply making an observation of the kind of clothing typically offered at the GAP. Isn't this a nice picture?

Abi had mixed feelings about riding the 4-wheeler, but I had lots of fun. 

Our last morning with the Franci we went to Sofia's Donuts and Grill. It was awesome! Our host was this really really nice Cambodian lady (I don't know if she was Sofia, but I like to imagine she was). The kids were out of control knocking over  glasses of water and dumping out sugar packets, but she treated us like royalty and gave the kids free sprinkled donuts. I asked for a maple bar and she asked if I wanted it filled. I was flabbergasted. "Filled with what?" I asked. "Creamcheese,  custard, raspberry filling..." Stunned, I saw an opportunity I might never have again. "Can I have cream cheese and raspberry filling?" "I'll try." She tried and succeeded. It was incredible. 
Here we are with Doug, Trea, and Rhonda at their self owned plane painting shop. Pretty awesome. Abi loved it. We are so glad  we got to see them and had such a fun time. We hope to make the trip out there again some time. 


We had a blast hanging out with the Franci: Staying up late playing games, eating popcorn, laughing and joking. We miss having them as neighbors so much. We are looking forward to our next adventure: Renting a 14 seater van and driving to the grand canyon, an Alaskan cruise, an all expense paid trip to Hawaii? We'll see. 


We decided to give Abi another shot at flying with Austin as co-pilot. She nailed the landing this time. 

2 comments:

The Francis Family said...

It really was the best Spring break ever!! Thank you so much for the awesome time! We miss you guys!

Christian Francis said...

I read all the captions, and was not offended by your metro-sexual label. I was, however, offended by your blatant attempt to rekindle Cold War hostilities with that shirt. For what it's worth.
P.S. We're ready to go back whenever you are!