It seems every few months or so I have an existential crisis. Which doesn't seem normal or healthy but keeping it to myself doesn't seem to help, so I might as well blog about it. Mostly it has to do with a lack of patience with myself and a narrowed perspective. I believe in God. I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe in all that the prophets have taught since Adam to Thomas Monson. I am confident that I have the truth, for I have not found any other philosophy or religion that comes anywhere close to making as much sense as the doctrine taught in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and for the most part living the gospel and having a family and all that makes me very happy.
What is hard for me are the hours and hours that I have to spend during this life completing mundane and tedious tasks, (driving, cleaning the kitchen, entering information into the computer, etc.) when I feel such a strong aspiration to do something more. I want to create something original. I want to make a contribution. I want to change the world! But, I can't even change myself. I try. "I am going to exercise every day." And I do for a while, until almost imperceptibly I stop and before I know it I am feeling lethargic and tired and fat. "I'm going to read my scriptures every day." And I do for a while, until almost imperceptibly I stop and before I know it I am feeling spiritually malnourished.
And this is where the existential crisis comes into play. WHY? Why should I exercise? Why should I read my scriptures? Why should I go to work and work all day every day for the rest of my life? There are obviously very practical answers to these questions. I need to exercise so that I can reap all of the physical and mental health benefits of exercise. I need to read my scriptures in order to maintain my faith. I need to work so that I can financially support myself and my family. I have met people who have given up on life. People who just sit around all day smoking one cigarette after another, with nothing to look forward to and nothing as far as I can see worth living for. I don't want to do that. It's not that I want to give up, it's that I want to do something more.
But what? What do I want to do? What could I possibly do that would fill that need? I've thought a lot about this question, and I have a few ideas. I'd like to write a book or maybe create a work of art. I'd like to build a useful invention or create an organization that really helps people in need. I'd like to become the expert at something or write a song that everyone knows and loves. The only problem is that I have to clean the kitchen first. I need to take Mo for a walk. I need to read my scriptures. I need to go workout. I need to go home teaching. I need to get this work done. I need to pay this bill. I need to sleep. I need to eat. I need a break.
To be honest though, lack of time, energy and money aren't the only limitations. And this is perhaps the most discouraging thought: I feel like I can do a lot of things okay, but I don't feel like I do anything at the level that I would like to be able to do it. Maybe this is how most people feel. It's certainly how most people are. Mozart may have been an incredible composer, but he probably didn't paint as well as Michelangelo. Michael Jordan may be generally considered the greatest basketball player of all time, but does that make up for his failed marriage? If one is to be the best at something, they must devote themselves completely to that one passion. I don't know that I need to be the best at something, I would just like to be better at the things that I try to do.
I can't imagine anyone is still reading this, but let me give you some examples:
2 comments:
Creating memories, laughter, traditions, instilling faith and knowledge in the next generation, or even your friends or neighbors for that matter is just as important if not more than creating a masterpiece of art. Your life while spent doing the mundane has created a space in many hearts that can only be filled by you. You have already succeeded. You now get to choose what more you would like to create in the years of your life ahead and beyond. It takes time, Jeff. The world was not created in a day, and that was by the all powerful creator. Just keep trying. We're not perfect, but God is proud of all we accomplish no matter how frail or limited it seems in our perspective. Just think of how proud you are of Abi even when she feels helpless and hopeless in her efforts to be like you. It's to a whole different level when we try to be like God. Why are we trying to do that? Because it is the only true way to happiness. Good luck in your search to create! You are already well on your way.
I feel you, Jeff. I've had many of those crises especially since I stopped working full-time. I just feel like everything I do is so temporary and so easily undone. I spend an hour cleaning the kitchen to have it messed up in five minutes. Same with laundry, vacuuming, and feeding Kate--seems like I just finish a job only to have to do it all over again. It drives me crazy and I feel like I have nothing to show for my days. I've taken up sewing a little just so that there is SOMETHING I do in the day that can't be "undone." I don't mind the cyclical nature of life, but when the cycles happen multiple times in a day I feel like I'm going mad. I guess it's like the painting in Elder Bednar's office with the wheat field--every day, every act, is a brushstroke on the canvas of our lives, our character, our testimonies. As much as I'd like to believe I'll write a book someday or do something truly awesome, I mostly just hope that my life becomes the masterpiece I so desperately yearn to create.
Post a Comment