Monday, June 17, 2013

A completed Bench..... and other evidence to support my case that Jeff Blair is a wonderful Father

Remember that unfinished bench that Jeff was lamenting about in a previous post?The one with crooked legs that we feared may never get finished?Well, he did it. And doesn't it look great? It fits our porch perfectly, and is very sturdy and deep and wonderful. He did a great job with a project that was supposed to something we were going to do together. I do that a lot to him. Rope him into projects we are going to do together, and then pretty much leave him to finish them up. And he always does. Like, painting the door, and the baseboards, and the hard parts of the painting job. And even simple things, like buckling Abi into the car, or carrying her the final journey up to bed when I am so tired, or cleaning up the dinner when we are both worn out from our days. He is a good finisher. He finishes his tasks with the same effort that he starts them with, no matter how long it takes, where I start with vigor and fizzle and give up. 



A non Jeff sidebar: Abi calls ice cream "foo-fream", not to be confused with  "Abi-fream" (Eucerin Cream),  "itchy -fream" (Hydrocortisone cream), or "Foo-flanes" (airplanes"




Seeing as Father's Day was yesterday I wanted to give a little recap of our day, and write down some of the reason i am grateful that Jeff is Abigail and Emily's father. Jeff mentioned this weekend how Mother's Day is kind of a sacred holiday that people are so sensitive and kind towards, but that men can kind of get the shaft on Father's Day, like getting ripped in church talks, or being the butt of jokes, or things like that, or even sometimes forgotten, and sadly I can see what he means. Women and men, mothers and fathers alike have very important roles, I would say equally important roles, and mothers and fathers everywhere are not perfect. But their effort and roles should be equally rewarded and respected and revered.

We celebrated by having Jeff's favorite meal of all times, tacos just the way his Mom used to make them, except for I can't cook the tortillas right, so he always does that part.:) And he requested Jello Pretzel Salad for dessert, and we also had corn on the cob, because it is 6 for a dollar and super yummy! 

Inspired by Pinterest, I got some IBC soda and Reeses Pieces and wrote on some cardstock with a pen "WE love our "POP"-ah to PIECES". I am always so intimidated by Pinterest, but I decided that the idea was fun and it didn't matter if it wasn't cute, it was a good fun memory. Abigail was so excited, and that devastated when we waited until dinner to drink the soda. However we are sure that learning to wait for things is an important lesson to learn and helped her through her sadness without giving in. Although a large part of me just wanted to give in. I have a hard time waiting as well.:)


This was not our yummy Taco dinner, but rather our grilled cheese and corn soup lunch.








We both got to Skype our Dads, and had a fun evening just talking and eating seconds of Jello Pretzel Salad. After church we took the "Father Day Picture" and then got up and run to the sidewalk saying "Abi walk, bye bye." It was SOO hot outside, we couldn't bring ourselves to oblige her, but it was pretty cute to see her  independent personality.

This is getting really lengthy, but I just want to mention some things about Jeff that make him a wonderful Father:
1. He parents with love, and Abi will never fear him. I am so grateful for this. He is kind and patient.
2. He is a natural father. Some people grow into their roles, but he has always loved children, and changes diapers better than I do. He takes joy in bathing and helping Abi with everything, and loves her to pieces. Part of this is surely due to good upbringing, but also it's just the way he's always been. In the home videos from his childhood, you can see him being a good kind brother, not getting annoyed with his younger siblings, but loving and laughing and having fun with them.
3. He takes such good care of us, and sacrifices little and big things for Abi to make her happy and her life better. 

Thank you Jeff for all you do for us!

2 comments:

AWS said...

Wow, that little Abigail is a doll. She is one of the cutest little girls I've ever seen. You guys are a beautiful family.

AWS said...

Nice work Jeff! And Nichole... you have every right to fizzle out, being prego and all. I miss you. You are such a beautiful woman and so real and sincere. I hope you're feeling well.