Monday, September 16, 2013

Life Update plus a Gazillion Pictures

What I think is neat about keeping a blog or writing in a journal is that you can take a snapshot (via pictures and words) of your life just as it is right now. This moment will forever be frozen in time, uninfluenced by any future events. So, here is our life as of September 16th 2013!

In general:
We bought a trampoline a few weeks ago. We got a killer deal on it at Jealous Dogs Bargains! Abi has loved it and always asks if we can jump when I get home from work. It has been especially great for when her little friends come over. Last week we started a "health challenge" with my parents, and 3 of my siblings. You get points for different things like reading your scriptures, exercising, and eating healthy. Everyone puts in some money and the winner gets the pot. So far my brother Todd is in the lead, but Nichole and I are going to rock it this week! I'm listening to K-love right now. I like it because its positive and encouraging. Last Saturday Nichole and I watched 42: The Jackie Robinson story. We really enjoyed it. I always like civil rights movies and most sports movies too. Nichole somehow managed to watch the entire 8 seasons of Monk over the course of the last year. We really enjoyed watching the final episode. With Psych on it's way out, we're looking for a good new show to watch. Since Emily was born it's been harder for us to be very social, but we still manage to get together with friends for dinner and games occasionally. We started trading nights with the Bosters every Wednesday for dinner, which has been really fun.



Jeff:
2 more weeks and I will turn in my application to become fully licensed. The last 1 1/2 years I've been acruing direct contact hours, paying for supervision, and working under a temporary license. I will now go from an LPC-Intern (LPC stands for Licensed Professional Counselor) to just plain LPC. This opens up a lot of great opportunities for me and is a key step in moving towards my goal of owning my own private practice.
I've already started doing some private practice stuff on the side of my full time job. I complete social studies for adoption and custody cases. This has been something I've actually really enjoyed doing. I enjoy meeting with the families, and they really want to impress me so they're always really nice! Of course, after I complete my evaluation they might change their tune, but that's okay. I've also been doing immigration hardship letters. So, when a US citizen's spouse doesn't have legal status, I interview them and write a letter to the court explaining how deporting their spouse would be a hardship to them and their family. This is also a pretty cool deal.
I continue to play lots of basketball and racquetball. I've started slacking on working out the last few weeks, but I'm going to pick it up again this week. The Elder's quorum had a pinewood derby last Friday. I thought I would invite our neighbor who has alzheimers to help me make one as he needs something to help him stay focused. I ran out of time though, and ended up trying to get one ready late Thursday night. I was once again reminded of my lack of craftsmanship, winning ugliest car and coming in last place. Oh well. In all fairness, I put very little effort into it. Still it brought up some repressed memories of my childhood embarassments. I guess we never totally grow up do we?

Nichole:
Nichole used our book of free coupon to get a free month membership at the YMCA. So, she has been going to the group classes and working out! She has started up piano teaching again and does such an awesome job at that. She and her friend, Jenny Boster, are putting on a free group music class for some members of our ward tomorrow. It seems like Nichole is always serving other people--dropping off meals, working on her calling, going visiting teaching, etc. This is on top of her literally full time job of taking care of the girls. Emily has been a challenge, as she seems to pretty consistently be fussy from the late afternoon to early evening. Nichole still manages to keep Abi entertained and get the house clean. What an amazing woman!


Abi:
Abi continues to amaze us with how grown up she acts, but she is still our little baby girl. It cracks me up how she can say and do such big girl things one second, and the next second she is putting dirt in her mouth. She has been obsessed with these alphabet books lately. They were written in 1984 (the year of my birth) by Jane Belk Moncure (who I learned via the internet died just a little over a month ago) and each book goes like this...Little "c" had a box. She said, I will fill my box...Then she fills her box with all this different stuff that starts with C. They're pretty awesome. Anyway, at the beginning and end of the books they have all of the alphabet and we ask Abi if she wants us to sing it in English or Spanish. She usually says English, then by the letter f, switches to wanting Spanish.
As you can see from the pictures, Abi loves Emily. They get along pretty well.

Emily:
We have decided the Emily is officially a a colicky baby. Baby colic (also known as infantile colic) is defined as episodes of crying for more than three hours a day for more than three days a week for three weeks in an otherwise healthy child between the ages of two weeks and four months. That's Emily. But, other than that time in the evening, Emily is a joy. She is super sweet and has been giving us some great smiles. I really enjoyed holding spending some time with her yesterday at church. As you can see from the pictures she is pretty chunky. We love her tripple chin and multiple leg rolls. We can't wait to find out more about her personality as she grows older.

Mosy:
Mo is wierd as usual. She has been driving me crazy with her ritualism lately. But, we still love her and Abi especially loves to pet her and tries to get her to do things normal dogs do, like eating when others are watching. Last night as I was walking Mo back home a couple of her friends showed up (these are stray dogs that every now and then Mo runs away with). Mo started whining and got so excited. I thought about her coming back home with us and hiding in our closet, and I guess I just felt bad for her. I know this is totally irresponsible, but I let her off her leash and said, "go have fun, just come back in the morning." Sorry neighbors! Hopefully she doesn't get into any trouble and she always comes back.