Thursday, July 4, 2013

She's here and we're in love!

Emily Grace Blair was born on July 2 2013, at 12:26 pm. What a sweetie she is. Here are some quick details of our day.

We awoke at 4:45 on a suprisingly cool July day, and rushed around to get in the car and drop Abigail off at our dear friends the Orrocks for the day, and then hurried to the hospital to be there by 6. And then the staff and nurses took their sweet time getting us going. Actually it wasn't too bad, I was just so anxious to get started. And hungry. And tired. By 8 they had me on Pitocin, and at 8:30 my Dr came and we reminisced about how crazy Abi's pregnancy was, and how smooth Emily has been, and then she broke my water. I waited for the contractions to get stronger and more painful, like they had immediately with Abi, but they didn't. In fact I couldn't really feel very many of them, but the nurse assured me they were happening. 2 hours later I could feel them, and was starting to get a little tired, mostly mentally tired. I was freezing, and uncomfortable, and starting to feel agitated, and not knowing how long it could take I asked for the epidural, and got it a little after 10:30. I immediately felt super warm and comfortable and it was perfect timing, because the contractions really picked up after that, and even though I was pretty numb I could still feel my belly tighten, and feel some pressure, which was nice. I was so sleepy after the epidural, but so happy and excited I couldn't stop chattering away to Jeff, about everything and anything. It was so fun and I was so happy. My nurse went to lunch and another nurse came in and I rolled to my other side, and then all of the sudden, tons of pressure, but then the nurse was gone. I wanted to ask her to check me, but I was too slow. When my nurse came back from lunch, she checked me and said, "Don't laugh too hard, or the baby will fall out," and then paged our Dr.  About 15 minutes later I was holding a sticky Emily! And we got to spend that first hour together. It was absolutely wonderful.

Emily had a lot of stuff in her airways, and had a little trouble breathing, so she spent some time in transitional nursery to be watched a little closer.  But by 10 at night, she was back with me. We had a wild first night, the two of us, but we survived. It felt like my first, because I was apart from Abi for the first 2 days b/c of being sent to the 5 floor b/c my heart rate was low.

Jeff and Abi got to sleep at home, and met up with us the next day to meet baby Emily. Our good friend Hilary came and captured the moment for us. Abigail was soooo good to her. She right away gave her a kiss without prompting, and loved to look at her and hold her. I am so happy to be the Mama of these two sweet girls.




3 comments:

The Francis Family said...

She is beautiful Nichole!! Congratulations and good luck!!

Hilary Lemon said...

She is so calm and sweet. Congrats, you guys!

Lisa and Alan said...

Glad to hear you had Emily. She's beautiful. I love the black and white pictures, very cute.