Two years ago around Christmas time, we answered some questions for Jeff's sister to put in a photo book for Jeff's parents. One of the questions was about goals we'd like to accomplish in the next year. I said, doing big batch freezer meals cooking, donating my hair, and running a marathon. Once I set a goal and really commit to something I really hate to not follow through. I ran the marathon and did the huge batches of freezer meals. And now, finally almost 2 years later my hair was long enough to donate. My hair grows slow. So here it is.
Before the cut:
After the cut
It took a long time to grow, and just like that it is done. I love the short easy hairstyle. As part of growing my hair longer than I have ever had it before, I wanted to try to get better at styling longer hair. So, I taught myself how to curl it with a straightening iron, and a couple of simple updos. It was a great experience. Both with my marathon and this experience, I have found a lot of joy in pushing myself to new heights, and achieving my goals. In this era of vanity and pressure on women to look/be a certain way I have found it really liberating to set goals for my body that don't have image around the center of the goal. I really feel like our body is a blessing that is to be enjoyed and taken care of and used to bless other peoples lives as much as possible. I used to engage in this vicious cycle of agonizing over that way I looked, (or rather the way I didn't look) and trying to find a way to make myself look like something else. Somewhere along the way I realized that no matter what I do, or what clothes I wear, or what hairstyle I have, I will still look like me, and so I had better learn to like me for me or else waste my life wishing I looked like someone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment