Thursday, October 31, 2013
Sleep, parenting,and letting go of expectations
I swear I was a better parent before I had kids! I always knew just what to do, and what the parents I was criticizing (in my head) were doing wrong. I know. I was horrible. Or even when we were absolutely blessed with an amazing sleeper in Abigail, I somehow thought it was because I was a super great Mom! Well, don't worry I have received what was coming to me in the form of first a colicky newborn, and second a toddler that refuses to sleep at all costs. Whether it is a just a two year old exerting her authority and refusing to go to bed, or a sudden bug phobia in the middle of the night, or a thunderstorm, or having to get up multiple times in the night to go to the bathroom, and then not being able to fall back asleep, Abi has really given us a run for our money. Even two months ago when she was having a little trouble, I would have been able to give you advice on how to encourage your child to get good sleep by using a sticker incentive chart. Now that sad sticker chart (still on Abi's wall) and all of the hopes of a good night's rest for all of us remain unfilled. I have racked my brain on what to do, and what I have done wrong with Abi for this to be happening (couldn't spend too much time there, though) and nothing has really changed. I know that one day Abi will sleep in her bed and make it through the night, and this will all be a distant memory. I am ok with not getting awesome sleep (and am so grateful for Jeff who takes turns with me) and I feel like all of the varied experiences with both Abi and Emily are making me into a better person and helping me be more flexible and focus on the most important things in life, and giving me more patience. At least most of the time I am ok with it. But I had to let go of my expectations first. Expectations are wonderful, but when they get in the way of you finding the blessing in your current circumstance, that is when you just need to let them go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment