Monday, November 8, 2010

Oops, I forgot Halloween!

So, Halloween... we didn't dress up... lame I know. But I have to say it was very comfortable, and still fun to see everyone else dressed up.





At work one of my co workers birthday is on Halloween, and so she goes all out for it. She brought costumes for everyone to put on, and when I showed up in only orange and black she said, "You can't just wear that!" So I put on a spurs jersey and a spurs hat and dressed up as Tim Duncan for work. We had a fall festival for the kids in the afternoon which turned out nicely, except for the 15 or so minutes we put them into the motor lab while some of the other teachers set up each room. 27 kids with autism, their ages ranging from 3-7 in a small room is generally not a great idea. :) It was chaos, until one of the teachers got a book out and started reading to them, it calmed them down, a little. We had a face painting and donuts on a string room, a pumpkin painting room, and a "sensory room" with cooked spaghetti, peeled grapes, fake blood, and pumpkin guts. Children with autism tend to also have sensory disorders, where they are overly sensitive to touches or smells. So, in the group I was with in that room, one of the kids put his hands in the spaghetti and then started to gag. We quickly moved him away and took him to the sink to wash off his hands, but the second the water hit his hands, it was too much for his little system, and his lunch came up all over the floor. Another teacher and myself had our own "sensory" experience cleaning that up!





That evening we went to the ward trunk or treat. Notice our lovely uncostumed selves:

The popcorn was good, the company was even better and we had a pretty fun time!

Hope you all had a fun halloween!

4 comments:

The Francis Family said...

I love all of the updates! You guys are the best friends ever!! I'm sorry about the little kid puking everywhere. You are such a good sport! I hope we get to see you guys even more this November/December!

Kari said...

Thanks for posting stuff. I love your piano. It looks like our first one that we loved. You guys are wonderful. Kari

Julie said...

It's good to finally hear some updates from you guys. I'm glad you've been busy and having some fun, too. That's awesome that you got a piano! How exciting.

Lisa and Alan said...

The story about the poor boy throwing up was funny...hmm that sounds mean. How sad for him. I read it to Alan and he said Nichole's a great writer!