So, I'll be the first to admit I haven't been quite myself for these last several months, and yesterday, on Thanksgiving Day, I really was feeling out of sorts, and feeling frustrated because of my lack of a grateful heart for my many blessings.
And then, we heard our great friend Mikey, at the door. He is a man who has cerebral palsy that I have the priviledge of caring for from time to time. I haven't been able to lately, because everything has been so busy. He is greatly afflicted, and only has limited function of his feet, and legs, and that is all. His arms and hands hang limply at his side, and even the muscles of his face are so constricted as so he can't talk, he can only grunt, and use a letter wheel which he turns with his foot to communicate. Although his body is impaired his mind is not. He is a sincere and intelligent man who is very independent and smart and kind. And there he was at our front door Thursday morning to wish us a Happy Thanksgiving. He and I have had lots of talks, and he above everyone wishes his life were different, and he suffers from extreme lonliness and boredom as he cannot do the things he wishes he could do, like be married, and have a family, and hold a job, etc. And yet there he was with a smile on his face. We offered him some rolls and juice, and made small talk about our holiday plans. Then Jeff said, "Mikey, what are you thankful for?" and without hesitation he said, "You," looking at Jeff, and then looking at me said, "You." Then he said, "I am thankful for all of my help." This is coming from a man who cannot eat, or dress or even go to the bathroom without help. And with that I was so humbled and grateful for my working limbs, and for my job, and for my busy life, and for my husband, for people like Mikey who live life so gracefully and gratefully. I was deeply humbled, and reminded of what I have.
And so this holiday season, instead of writing an endless list of what I am grateful for, (I could easily think of hundreds of things that I am grateful for) I will just say that I am grateful for a loving, merciful and patient Heavenly Father who has granted me my life and has provided me oppurtunities to learn what is truly important and who took the time to teach me this well needed lesson on perspective and gratitude. And also for the chance I have to repent and become better than I am today, because of His Son's sacrifice for me. For these things I am truly grateful.
I hope that you all had a wonderful day.
Happy Thanksgiving.
3 comments:
that was wonderful
Oh Nichole-I'm grateful for you too! You really are amazing and I'm glad you shared this with us!
I'm behind on your blog! This was such a beautiful post. Thank you so much for reminding us to be thankful for the simple things. I think you guys are an inspiring and beautiful couple. We will miss you!
Post a Comment